Saturday, August 30, 2008

Seven Years


Its hard to believe that its been 7 years ago today that David and I were married in the Salt Lake City Temple. It feels just like yesterday. I still remember the first time I ever saw David. You could say it's the classic BYU story. It was August of 1997. We met on the field in front of M Smith Hall. It was a get to know you ward party, the weekend before school started. We were playing Duck, Duck, Goose! David was it. He started around the circle and said "Goose" when he came to me. I bolted up, he started running, tripped and fell. I got him. He had no idea just how competitive I would be. On the way to our dorms that night my new roommate from Puerto Rico said, "You like that boy." Claiming to be clueless, I said, "What boy?" She said, "the one who goosed you." I smiled as I thought of the slang meaning of what she had unknowingly said and realized I wasn't as good at keeping my cover as I thought. I had a crush on David from day one! My sister Ruth can tell you that we also devised a great plan the following monday. Ruth and I were in line together to get our ID cards when I spotted David in another line and pointed him out to Ruth. She told me to leave the room and she would switch to his line while I was gone. When I came back I pretended I didn't know where she had gone. She waved me over and we ended up right behind David. He was studying from a calculus book and I remember thinking he must be really smart. No one said a word the entire time until the very end of the line when David said his grand BYU pick-up line, "Are you going to family home evening tonight?" I said a quick, "Yes" and that was that. Young love and the games you play! How wonderful it is to be married. Now 7 years later here we are in Oklahoma...David and I graduated from BYU, David from medical school, and we have 2 beautiful children. What will the next 7 years bring? Another move or two?....another kid or two? Either way, we are in it together. Me and "that boy who goosed me." I love you David.

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Happy Anniversary! It's amazing how much can happen in 7 years! Did you get to do anything fun?

Corbin and Amy said...

That was a cute story! I love hearing how couple meet. It's so fun to look back and reminisce. Hope you guys did something fun.

Jones said...

aww, that's a sweet story!! Happy Anniversay!

Janell said...

I've never heard that story! I love it! Hope you were able to do something to celebrate (we're lucky if we make it to dinner!).

Waggoner Family said...

Wonderful story from two wonderful people! We hope your day was special!

Stephanie said...

Check out my blog! Soccer pics are up! Beware: There are A LOT of them! ; )

Brady said...

David, this is Brady Lorenc from the old Academy Ward. I found your blog on the Linton's blog. It's good to see you and your family! Congratulations on 7 years and a beautiful family!

Brady
lorencblog.blogspot.com
bradylorenc@gmail.com

Emily said...

Happy Anniversary. I've never heard the story of how you two met! I love BYU romance!