Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Joys of Family Pictures!

I never realized the effort that goes into taking a family picture until I had a family of my own. Our first experience was with Ben as a newborn. We took him to JCPenny's when he was just a few months old. I have to say it was a very stressful experience. It was our luck to get a photographer that was all Gothic...black clothes...black make-up...black hair! Ben screamed the entire time and I didn't even blame him. I was a little scared myself. We ended up buying one picture, not because we liked it, but because we felt obligated to do so. After a few months of staying far away we finally ventured back to get pictures taken. We found a new studio called Portrait Innovations. Our experience was much better this time around. We struggled to narrow down our huge selection of quality pictures. I wanted them all. We went through a great phase with Ben until he hit that cheesy smile phase. We were back to working up a sweat to make him smile. Yesterday Ben did great, but I also realized why I haven't taken Kate to get pictures on very many occasions. She has a mind of her own. She does not want to be told what to do. Where does this come from? She is Ben's polar opposite. I was stressed before we even started the pictures. She would not let me french braid her hair. She ripped off her cute little bracelet in one tug less than a minute after I put it on (breaking it in the process). She refused to sit or stand by our family. She would not hold Ben's hand. But boy did she think she was funny. She knew she was pulling my strings. She wasn't in a bad mood at all...she was just being Kate. Full of energy...Full of life...And never ending. And so I suppose that's what is most important to capture. The real Kate. Our photographer loaded some of our shots to her blog. I am excited for the forthcoming collection. I was amazed at what she did capture of the kids, especially Kate. How did my mom ever do it? 9 kids! I ask myself this question everyday.






7 comments:

Emily said...

These pictures turned out great. She did a nice job. Kate and Ben are so cute. I love Kate's smile. I hope the stress was worth it b/c you got some great shots.

Linda K Anderson said...

I agree with Emily. Your kids are so incredibly cute! You got some great shots and I loved all the photos! Don't ever feel bad spending money on photos. I remember long ago I got scolded for how much I spent on photos of Kasey and Nikki... Then a few weeks after I ordered them, Kasey was gone. The photos arrived in the mail the day of his funeral. I never got scolded for spending money on photos again!!!!

Stephanie said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the pics! Such a beautiful family! I can't get over how old Ben & Kate look! They have grown so much in the few weeks since we've seen them!

Hansen Family said...

Oh my gosh!! Too cute! Kate seriously looks way older than she is in that picture of her running. I love Kate so much! You have the best kids!

Heather

traske.melissa said...

cute pictures!! kristen does a great job. how is the packing going...i need to get motivated again. our appriasal came in low and so we are now trying to figure out what to do from here. i really don't want to have to put it back on the market!

Unknown said...

ADORABLE!! Your kids are getting so big!

Amy said...

BEAUTIFUL PICTURES!!! Of course since you have a beautiful family in the first place that helps...I love pictures of kids that show their true personality because at the end of the day that is what I love most and want to remember most. I also love the location ubanish cool back ground.