Sunday, May 3, 2009

My daddy is a smoke doctor!

This entry is soley for me. Years down the road I want to remember the mind of my 4 year old. One afternoon Ben and I were having a pleasant little conversation. Ben informed me that he knew lots of doctors and he really does. He began naming them all, while I added what kind of doctor each one was if he didn't already know. He started with Uncle Rob...he's a baby doctor. Then on to Gavin and Carsons' daddy...he's Kate's ear doctor. Uncle Mike and Yadon's daddy are both teeth doctors....Dyson and Meilani's daddys' are both bone doctors....Madeleine's daddy is a cancer doctor....Jennifer Kate's daddy and Boo are x-ray doctors....Jason and Nicoles' daddy and Sammy and Jaxons' daddy are both eye doctors....And then he came to David. I asked him what kind of doctor daddy was and he said, "Mom you know...He's a smoke doctor!" I was completely puzzled at first and asked him why he thought that. He elaborated and started talking about our visits to see Daddy outside of OU. I put two and two together and realized that everytime we have visited David or dropped something off to him we have seen patients outside of the hospital all gowned up, IV poles and all, smoking. What 4 year old who knows smoking is bad for you wouldn't think that is why they had to go to the hospital? And that must be why his daddy always has to go there....to help them get better. And I thought OU was suppose to be a "smoke free" campus! We laughed and thought this idea would eventually go away. But, this past week I took Aunt Di to the ER for some severe abdominal pain. After picking Ben up from preschool I told him we were headed to the hospital to help Aunt Di. It took quite a bit of convincing to get him out of the car. He didn't want to go in there...."there would be too much smoking and Heavenly Father doesn't want us to smoke!" I promised him no one would be smoking inside and he eventually ventured out of the car. Later that night, while I was fixing dinner, he came into the kitchen and with a very worried look on his face said, "Mom, why did Aunt Di have a smoke?" It was difficult to keep a straight face. Of course in his mind that is why she must have had to go to the hospital. David is on call tonight and in Ben's bedtime prayer he said, "Heavenly Father, thank you for today. Please help my daddy to help everyone that smokes get better! In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." I think David will always remain a "smoke doctor," but at least Ben will never take up smoking!

8 comments:

Linda K Anderson said...

I totally LOVED this! Your blog is always amazing. I'm not sure if it's because you do such a great job narrating things (which you do) or if it's because Ben is such an animated child! Either way, I love reading about your family and keeping updated on your lives...
Big hugs from Minnesota! LKA

Stephanie said...

Ben is hilarious!

Janell said...

Oh that is too funny! And what a very observant 4 year old--Yeah, you gotta remember that one.

Dalene said...

Thanks for sharing - I love Ben's 4-year old mind.

Berrett's said...

ok that is a great story to remember...he has such a fun personality!

tina

Corbin and Amy said...

Ben is a very smart little boy!! I am going to really miss him in primary.

Jones said...

oh my gosh, what a cute little mind he has!!!

John said...

What a great story, thanks for sharing!