Wednesday, July 22, 2009

MVA



It's official. I am now a Maryland Resident. It was NOT an easy process. Last Saturday, our whole family arrived at the MVA (30 minute drive) at 8:30 am in hopes of beating the rush. Saturday was the only day David could go. We stood in line for 45 minutes only to be told that we didn't have enough information to get our licenses. I had previously checked out the website on-line and brought everything that it said we needed. When I asked about the website directions she said, "Oh, yeah sometimes its just not accurate!" I would have thought that a social security card, 2 proofs of address, a valid OK license, proof of insurance, safety inspection certificate (which we had to replace the windshield to pass), OK title and proof of insurance would have been enough. Nope...they also wanted a marriage license and a passport! So today I went back by myself to get my license and the title/registration. I had been waiting for about 30 minutes with my number when they announced that the computer system had shut down! Great...I decided to stick it out when I saw others dropping like flies. I had dropped off the kids at a friend's house and I was determined to get it done while I was alone! The computers finally came back on and I was able to get my license. Next...the car title and registration. At first they tried to tell me I couldn't do it without David because the title had both of our names on it. I pointed out the big fat OR between our names and explained that was different than AND! I requested a supervisor and in the end (3 hours later) I finally got everything I came for. The sour lady at the counter said, "You are all set. You don't have to come back until 2014." To which I replied, "Great, that means I will NEVER have to come back." Oh and I forgot to mention you have to pay an outrageous 6% of the value of your car just to register it...EVERY 2 YEARS! Today I miss Oklahoma. It brought back distant memories of waiting in the DMV lines with my mother when I was little. I am sure it was just as painful for her...I only hope my presence didn't make it harder on her.

7 comments:

Crandall Family said...

Oh my gosh! That is ridiculous! I'm glad you'll never have to go back! I love visiting the east coast but I could never live there because of the cost of everything! It's insane! I'm glad you got everything you went for!

I sent you an e-mail from your farewell party. Let me know if it doesn't work!

Emily said...

Yuck! That sounds awful. I am proud of you for asking for the supervisor! I actually like Minnesota for this type of stuff better than Utah. There are more locations which equals less lines. And it's cheaper to register our vehicles (and no yearly inspection and emissions). But congrats on getting it done.

Alisha said...

When I went to get a new license after I got married, the lady could not for the life of her understand why my SS card had one last name & my old license had another. Duh-- we had to call a supervisor over then too. They make it so hard to get these things done!!! So sorry you had to go through that!

Dalene said...

Ahh, the good ol' department of motor vehicles. It obviously takes a person of great education, empathy, and care to obtain a job here. At least the visits make for good stories.

Tori Orgill said...

YUCK!!

Ashlie Scholer said...

That sounds just like what happened to us in California. Oklahoma is so much more cheaper and easier!

Justin & Erin Linton Family said...

Oh the memories! I think they turn everybody around at least once. We found the DMV in Westminister th have a lot less crowds, and it doesn't matter where you go. The whole experience sure makes it feel like your new driver's licence is a little treasure.